Saturday, November 19, 2005

How many things can break around here?

A few weeks ago we bought a DVD player (all very exciting - hours of entertainment, and an adventure in itself as we had to return the first one we bought because we couldn't change the region on it - and the guy in the store didn't speak English and wasn't at all interested in trying to understand our German). Our collection of DVDs is still floating over here so we purchased a few (do I hear gasps - yes we paid money for DVDs). After a while we realised there was a DVD rental place near us so we joined (for €5) and have rented a few movies (another adventure as we didn't initially realise that they charge by day rather than by night so if you hire it tonight and return it in the morning you pay for two days - we were stung a few times and just thought we had rented more expensive DVDs than we realised).

Tonight we decided that we would rent a movie, and then to save some money we would return tonight. GREAT PLAN!!!

So an hour or so into the movie it stops. '"Odd!". We get up to investigate, and discover that the DVD player has died! Turn it on\off\on\off, nothing. What a pain in the arse. Then we realise - we can't get the DVD out... We have tried everything we can think of, short of opening it (which we couldn't do anyway because we have no tools of any kind).

So then I thought perhaps I could ring the DVD rental place and tell them what had happened, and they would allow us to come to some sort of arrangement that wouldn't mean we pay a fortune for this DVD. (My dad thinks I live in a fantasy land where people are reasonable.) Apparently though this place likes to keeps its number a secret. It's not on the membership card, or their internet site, or in the phone book. Eventually I drove down there and spoke to them. I have to go back on Monday to talk to the manager... And I guess I also need to go the store we bought the DVD player from and try to get them to give us a new player....

Can anything else break? We will keep you posted...
Belinda

PS - did a perfect parallel park when I got home - it's only my 4th attempt on the other side of the car (1st one was a disaster!!!!).

PPS - it got to -3 today when we were out. WTF!?!?!?! It's only the beginning of winter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello you two, oh dear.... my sides are hurting from laughing so much... I'm sure I have never met anyone who has had this many issues in Germany.
Firstly... the muffler story... ah well shit happens. Just in case and as a little bonus german lesson "Mein Auspuff ist kaputt" would have done the trick. So - altogether now: "Mein Auspuff ist kaputt!"
Also Brett... just for next time if you break down on an Autobahn: if you look at the posts at the side of the raod (every 50 meters or so) they have little arrows pointing you in the direction of the next rescue phone and there you will atomatically be connected to the ADAC who will come and help with your car troubles...
So just remember that for the next time (somehow I am quite sure there will be a next time).
I'm not going to comment on the trouser thing as I personally have never seen them hung like that but then I don't shop at Karstadt... maybe try something more in your age group like H&M... and they at least hang their trousers the "Australian" way.
Anyways sounds like your having a great time. Take care... love from the cat and us of course and we'll see you in June.
Lots of love from the evil German woman

'Brush and Bel said...

"Mein Auspuff ist kaputt!" oder "Mein Auspuff hat kaputt gegangen!" (for the past tense). I am still stuck in "present participle" for past tense...hopefully I get upgraded to "simple past" soon.

Grüße aus die Bundeshauptstadt.

'Brush

Anonymous said...

Matt laughed and laughed today. In his usual form I had to force him to read an internet diary and I must say he little bear sausage amused him greatly.

Oh and the german version of dud wheres my car.

We bought an 80's model landcruiser for camping, will send you pics

BRETT SEND ME THE CHRISTMAS LIST OR GET NOTHING

Anonymous said...

You two keep up that whining and they'll take you for English.
But seriously, you must have moments when you stop and think how lucky you are... (even though you do seem to do things the hard way)

Did you return the DVD with the player still wrapped around it?
I'm not so shocked at your willingness to buy DVD's as to actually rent them. That's just crazy talk - nobody really does that do they?