Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Exit? What exit? Car? What car?

On Friday night we headed into Frankfurt with one of B's colleagues, to see some hippy movie at some hippy film festival. The film was about people working in Call Centers in India, and how screwed up their perspective on the world becomes...but we can talk about that later.
Before the film started, we snuck into the discussion that was being held at the end of the previous film (Yes! One of THOSE film festivals!). The previous film was about people in China working in sweatshops, and their appauling conditions...more on that later. Anyway, film sounded interesting, so we decided to head back in on Monday night to see it.

So, now it's Monday night, and we are driving into Frankfurt to the cinema. We are banging along the A66, and the navi starts counting down to the exit. I am kinda calm about it, because I think I am in the right lane...which I turn out not to be.
Anyway, exit gets VERY close, and I realise that I am in the wrong lane. Quick look... no car... quick lane change with meters to go... honking... hard braking... harder braking from me... renching at steering wheel... more braking... more honking... back wheels sliding a little... corrective action... made it around the exit. Needless to say, the lady behind me that I cut off wasn't very happy about it... and I was shaking like a leaf.
A bit further down the road I realise that she is still behind me and flashing her headlights at me. So, I pull over and get out. I don't remember the full details of the next 10mins, but it roughly goes that I am a dick, she wants to call the cops, I apologise profusely, she still wants to call the cops, more apologising, more "what did you think you were doing", more "I really am sorry, I don't know what more I can say" etc. We eventually convince her not to call the police, and she drives off. I was so shaken up that we didn't end up going to the movies, rather back home to drink some tea to calm down.
Turns out that in the whole vehicular ballet, I managed to brush the barrier of the exit ramp, but only just so lightly that we had some white paint above the wheel-arch on the driver's side, but I could rub it off with my hand.

Yeah, I know - I am a dick, and I have learned a BIG ARSE lesson from this one. I am just thankful that nobody got hurt and that everything is ok. I guess in the future I will go with the "fuck the exit, I'll take the next one" approach, and I recommend that you all do the same too.

Tschüß
'Brush

2 comments:

Matt said...

Glad you're still here to tell the tale! And that you've learned from it. I've had a couple of scary moments driving before and they certainly make you a better driver - a healthy dose of fear is good for you once in a while. :) Now if we could just scare the bejesus out of some of these dipshit P-platers that are on the road...

By the way, "FTE" is now officially entered into my vocabulary. Whenever something is just not worth it - FTE. :)

Anonymous said...

I really hate it when people dive for an exit at the last minute. If it's too late then get off at the next exit and do a uturn!

I wish more people would learn from their mistakes.