Saturday, July 21, 2007

Camera frustrations

I will get to the posting about our holiday in Ireland and visiting Chis and Bec in Bath soon, but first I want to bitch about some camera stuff.

Firstly, just like 4 years ago when we were in New Hampshire, our Kodak digital camera decided to crap out in the middle of a holiday again. Last time the lens wouldn't come out, and the camera had to be replaced under warranty with a newer model. Luckily we had my SLR with me on that trip too, so we were still able to take some pics.
This time around it was halfway between Dublin and Kilkenny, and this time the lens won't go back in. I don't know if this is actually the problem or not, because the damn camera won't turn on any more. Now it is stuck looking like this permanently.

What made it worse this time around is that I currently have no idea where my SLR is, so of course it wasn't with us to save the day. Luckily we were able to purchase a new camera in Kilkenny and continue with our holiday snaps, only losing 1 day worth of photo opportunities.

My second frustration is with the fact that most digital cameras take photos in a 4:3 format, which matches the format of a computer monitor. 35mm cameras (film cameras) take photos in a 3:2 format, which is the classical format that we are used to seeing, and have a lot of frames and albums for.
So yesterday we go into a place here that has a digital photo printing machine, where you stick in your memory card and print the photos. Now, you could be mistaken for thinking that because it is a digital machine, that is set up for digital photo printing, that it would print the photos in a digital photo 4:3 format. WRONG! The machine automatically crops your pictures, that you spent a lot of time framing, into a 3:2 format and prints them.
The good news is that our new camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01) supports taking photos in 3:2 format so that we can frame them for printing if we want, or switch into 4:3 format or even 16:9 format for normal or widescreen pc monitors.

Tschüß,
'Brush.

2 comments:

GKT said...

I hate camera probs too, but I'll give you two thumbs up on choice of replacement camera -- I also have the FX-01! It's a great little unit, and I got it as it was the cheapest 28mm equivalent wide angle point & shoot wide (the next is the Canon 800 or something which was $200-300 more).
I'm very happy with the shot quality, the Leica lens is great; just sometimes it overprocesses night shots which can be a bit noisy. if you stay within flash range you're fine. And I also use it almost exclusively in 3:2 mode too!

Pity I lost it at the snow (Hotham) a couple weeks back... :-( I'm looking at replacing it with the FX7 - it's 7mp successor.

Hope you're well!
GKT

'Brush and Bel said...

Or you could try out the new one with the 10X optical zoom. Could be pretty nice, but it is a little on the bulky side.