Friday, April 07, 2006

Close encounters of the Aussie kind

Bright and early on Monday morning, I board the plane from Frankfurt to Amsterdam. I take my aisle seat, and a few mins later somebody says "Excuse me" and climbs on into the window seat. The accent sounded strangely familiar, but I couldn't quite put a finger on it. A little later, I saw this guy flicking through his passport, and saw the stylised kangaroos printed on the background of each page. So, I asked "Where in Australia do you come from?" He said "Sydney", which explained why the accent sounded Australian, but with a little twist. :)

Then, when I arrived in Frankfurt last night, as we were getting out of the plane, I saw a guy wearing a Billabong t-shirt, and carrying a Caribee backpack. Seemed a little odd in Europe.
We had to take a bus from the plane to the terminal, and as he got on, I noticed the shoes that he was wearing. No doubt, this guy is from Australia.
When we got off the bus, I heard him say something to the girl that was with him, and I noticed the strong Aussie accent breaking through. He somehow got ahead of the girl, so I asked her "Where in Australia are you guys from?". She said "Adelaide. How did you know?". I pointed at the guy and said "Billabong T-shirt, Caribee backpack, and Blundstones - it's a dead giveaway." Turns out that she is actually Dutch, but lives in Australia now as well (and speaks with an Aussie accent).

It's kinda cool when you bump into other Aussies when bouncing around the globe.

Did we mention the whole group of Aussies that we bumped into in Munich? It was around 30 of them, I think.

Tschüß,
'Brush.

3 comments:

J-Man said...

There are heaps of Aussies in Vancouver, and Whistler could be an Australian colony (most of the people there are Aussies!)

Anonymous said...

Nice to know we stick out like sore thumbs no matter where we go!

Anonymous said...

Aussies in Munich? Just go to the Hoffbrauhause (excuse spelling) - thats where the Contiki buses stop.