Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Ich bin doch nicht blöd!

Ich bin doch nicht blöd is the tag-line for MediaMarkt, which is like MegaMart, or something like that.

They have this really cool ad on at the moment, in the lead up to the World Cup, where they are pretending to have fans from other countries come into the store (I think). My favorite one is with the British couple who come in looking for a camera. This is roughly how the ad goes (the ad is in English):

Brit: We are looking for a digital camera.
Clerk: Here, take this one. It is very billig.
Brit: Thank you!
Clerk: Please!
Brit: Good bye!
Clerk: Yes, it is!

Now, if you haven't already killed yourself laughing, then you may need this explanation:

The Clerk obviously usually speaks German, and gets some words mixed up when talking with the Brits. The German word billig means cheap, and as you can see, he didn't quite translate it in the conversation.
Then, when the Brits say "Thank you!", he responds with "Please!". The German word for "Please" is Bitte, which you also use to mean "You're welcome". Case of incorrect translation.
Finally, when the Brits say "Good bye!", it sounds to him like "Good buy", and therefore he responds "Yes, it is!".

Now read it again, and I am sure it will be funnier. :) I wonder if this is what we sound like to Germans?

MediaMarkt - Ich bin doch nicht blöd!

Tschüß,
'Brush

PS: I just remembered that I did have a brain-fart at lunch today. The pasta that I had contained some Obst (fruit)...which I wasn't aware of when I ordered it (but it was pretty good). I could have sworn that it contained pears, so I asked the guy that I was sitting with "Gibt es Glühbirne drin?".
Now, the German word for pear is die Birne. And the German word for glow is Glüh (hence Glühwein etc.). Therefore, if you put the two of them together you get "Glow Pear". So, what looks like a glowing pear? A LIGHTBULB!!! That's right, I was asking my colleague "Is there a lightbulb in this?".

Ich bin doch DOCH blöd!

3 comments:

J-Man said...

lol, I'm laughing because you took so much effort to blog and explain the commercial to us!
Cheers,
J

Anonymous said...

You must fel really BRIGHT having asked about a light bulb hey? Chuckle, chuckle

Anonymous said...

Oh god, I was going to make a comment about the light blub but now I have to say that Dad should be banned from making jokes. Thats a STINKER!