Sunday, May 14, 2006

Park it at work, so it will be safe...

First, let me say that I have the summer tyres on the car now, which includes the nice alloy wheels...and here is a pic that Screws took.



It was very nice of Screws to take the photo from this side of the car...and here's why.

Oh yeah, I quickly want to remind everyone that I do love her...

So, a few weeks back I was in Denmark for the week that lead into a long weekend. Bel and I had the idea that she could come and meet me in Denmark, and we could spend the weekend in Copenhagen. Good idea, right?

Anyway, we had decided that Bel would take the car to work on Friday, and then park it at my work, before catching a train to the airport. That way the car would be safe, and I could pick up the car easily when we got back. Good plan, right?

On Thursday, Bel called me to say that someone at her work said that we could park the car at a park-and-ride a bit closer to the airport. I didn't want to do this, because I didn't want the car to get damaged, so we decided to stick with the park-at-my-work-plan. Better choice, right?

So, Friday afternoon I am back at my hotel. I call Bel to check how she is going, and she is sounding a little flustered (she was lost in the carpark, frustrated at the nav system that took her a stupid way, and was thinking she was running late).
While I am trying to direct her to where she needs to go, I hear a *crunch*, followed by "Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit!", and then "I've hit something".

Let me paint a picture for you. The Tiefgarage has cream-coloured walls, and big fuck-off cream-coloured cement pilons. I also find that the roads in the Tiefgarage are a little tight, and you can see many scuff marks on the walls from where people have hit them while turning corners etc.

Turns out, that while we were talking, Bel had overshot at turn that she needed to take on the bottom level of the carpark, and was backing up to it, attempting to do a quick 3-point turn. (She is dictating this to me...Your Honour.) During the attempt, she backed my baby into one of these poles.

Now, people that know me, and how much I love my cars, would probably think that I would have gone spare at this point in time...and to be honest, I myself thought that I would have...but suprisingly enough, I didn't. When something like this happens to someone you care about, you are a long way away, and they are upset, then the last thing you give a shit about it a hunk of metal that gets you to work and back (albeit, a lovely, stylish, black beast of a hunk of metal...).

So, the car is now in the shop getting fixed, and we have a bullshit Hyundai Getz as a replacement (though, we have driven said Getz at 160kmph+ on the Autobahn...).

Unfortunately, I forgot to get a pic of the car where the dint was...which is probably a good thing. :)

Tschüß,
'Brush.

From Belinda - I would like to emphasise that I looked before reversing but did not see the poles as they are the _exact_ same coulour as the walls so I thought there was nothing there. And Brett didn't get mad at me at all (though there have been many jokes made) he was very good even though his baby was hurt (the car, not me)... B

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right - the one you love is far, far more important that anything material - including cars. D&D

Anonymous said...

Yeah, teah, I know ALL about the concern for the loved one thing but somewhere deep in the back of your mind at the time you really are thinking "oh crap, my bloody car!"
Admit it.

'Brush and Bel said...

I cried on the inside...