Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Blood Test

I had a blood test today (nothing wrong, just need soem vaccinations for work travel so doc was working out what antibodies I have) and all was done with the German precision and efficiency you would expect. It was basically painless YAY. I always lay down so that I don't fall down but afterwards she said to me 'You look fine, Sit up' and then after about 1 minute sitting, 'You look fine, you can go now'. I think because he english wasn't perfect it sounded gruffer than was meant, and she was right - I was fine, but usually doctors/nurses let me have a little lay there.

The weird part was though, SHE DIDN'T WEAR GLOVES!!!!

I asked a girl I work with if this was normal and she didn't think it was strange, she said the only time she has ever had a doctor actually wear gloves was in Ghana....

Now I don't even remember the last time I had an injection, let alone a blood test where they didn't wear gloves... And this isn't a country where they shy away from latex gloves - you HAVE TO carry some in you car.

...odd...

B

1 comment:

Jack... said...

In the various doctors and such that we have visited in our time in Germany we have not had a single one wear gloves. That goes for bakers and people serving food too. No gloves there.
I think the ones in the car are so you can check the oil and not get all messed up...
Its a strange old world eh?