Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Big Bird

This post is mainly for Trentini who is yarping on about going to the Airshow finally.

Well, there are many things about my job that are cool (BMW company car, and Autobahns), and many things about it that suck (constantly flying and sleeping in hotels). Got to add another cool thing to the list yesterday (for the aeroplane nerds out there)...

So, yesterday was the first "commercial" flight of the A380 from Frankfurt to New York. I say "commercial" because it was mainly full of journalists and VIPs, but meh! The plane was leaving from Terminal 2 at Frankfurt Airport at 09:00.

Because my Sales Guy (read as "tie wearing companion") were going to meet in Berlin, I took DBA/Air Berlin up to Berlin (discount airline) to keep the costs down. Downside of this plan is, as I found out at the airport when I arrived in Terminal 1, that they fly from Terminal 2...

So, because they are a discount airline, it also means that they don't pay for the Airbridge service, and instead ferry people too and from the plane in busses along the tarmac.

Anyway, long story short, I got to see Big Bird up close on the tarmac (from the bus). It is quite an impressive sight - this big double-decker plane and all of the trucks around it to fuel it, feed it, etc.

Naja, I should have taken some pix, but I was too excited, and discussing how it looks bigger on tv with the Germans.

Tschüß,
'Brush.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I've also read that, for Aussie passengers, Airbus is thinking about sending the A380 over Antarctica (for no extra cost) as an alternate route when flying os. Their benefit is that they'd get publicity for it of course.

I'd love to fly over Antarctica! Actually I'd love to visit Antarctica but that's the subject of another blog post... :)