Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Landratsamt and a pain in my arse

So, on Monday we headed to the Landratsamt in Bad Homburg to try and renew our Residence and Work Permits. The Landratsamt Ausländerbehörde (which LEO translates as "public authority responsible for aliens") opens at 08:00, and we got there about 5 minutes later (because the times aren't published on the web anywhere), only to find that all the appointment numbers for the day were gone already. What a crock! Gotta come back tomorrow.

So, Bel went to work, and I went home to wait for Ikea to deliver the wardrobes that I purchased on the weekend. The guys finally came at about 15:00, and managed to drag the flat-packed things in by themselves (these puppies are H-E-A-V-Y!!!). They then left them leaning up against the wall, and left.
Naturally, I didn't want them up against the wall, so I decided to lie them down. In the process of doing the second one, something in my lower back went PING! and pain resulted.
Bel convinced me that I should go to the Physio (Krankengymnast) and get it checked out - so we went together. But, the system here isn't as simple as us getting an appointment with Dean, as you have to get a referral from a Doctor first. So, with Bin ranting about a crap system, I booked in to the Orthopedic Doctor in Friedrichsdorf for first thing on Tuesday morning.

So, Tuesday morning we trundle (who says that shit? What am I, 80 or something?) off to the Doctor. The dude comes in, asks what is up, and then checks out my back briefly (about 60sec), and they says "You need an injection". Next thing I know, I have dropped my strides, and a nurse has stuck a needle in my arse. Now, the natural questions that follow are:
  1. What did they inject me with?
  2. Why inject me in the arse, when it was my back that was hurting?
  3. Why hasn't Dean ever injected me?
Funny thing is, that after all that, my back didn't really hurt that much anymore, but my arse was killing me!

Now, with a sore arse, Bel and I trundle (there's that word again) back to the Landratsamt to get on the list for today's sitting. We got there at 10:30, and put our names on a pin-board, to ensure that we would be first on the list that would be posted at 11:30, for an appointment at 13:30 when they were due to open. What a crock!

Anyway, after many hours of waiting, I finally got my permit extended, and Bel got a temp extension until the office in Frankfurt has finished processing hers.

So, the question is, which was the bigger pain in the arse? The system, or the injection?

Tschüß,
'Brush

2 comments:

Matt said...

I think the real moral to the story is that them Germans are kooky folks! I mean - seriously - "Krankengymnast"!? hehehehehe!

Pat said...

An interesting question...have you seen the South Park episode where Mr Garrison invents a form of transportation that involves an anal probe, but everyone still agrees that it "sure beats dealing with the airline companies"?