Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Auf Deutsch, und auf Englisch.

Just while I think about it - here are some fun phrases in German.

Auf DeutschRough TranslationAuf Englisch
Drachen steigen lassenTo let dragons climbFly kites
Es ist in die Hose gegangenIt has gone in the pantsIt is broken/screwed/f'd etc...

Hmmm...turns out that the word for Dragons and Kites is the same in German. Guess they got that one from the Japanese who fly Dragon Kites all the time.

There is also another ripper phrase that I heard last night. It is something about biting yourself on the arse, and it means that you are really mad.

Ah, I just found it on this page.

Auf DeutschRough TranslationAuf Englisch
Ich habe mich in den Arsch gebissenI have bitten myself in the arseTo be angry at yourself

Back to doing my study now.

Tschüß,
'Brush

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Son,

I am now busily deciding in what context, at what meeting, I can use these very helpful phrases. I am grateful for the education that you provide.
Did the starting at Queenscliff on Sat - regards from Brett Mitchell and Tommy the Toe Toucher.
Dad

Kate said...

Good luck to Bel for her new job today!!

Thinking of you - hope it is fantastic and the WV community as great as all the other WV communities I have come across around the world.

Congratulations...

Anonymous said...

Servus, Bratt und Belinda,
hoert sich an, als wenn Ihr verdammt viel Spass, im guten alten Deuschland, habt.
Wie laeuft es denn mit der Suche nach einem Auto, seid Ihr schon fuendig geworden? Ich hoffe, dass sich schon sehr bald, ein Bild eines, bzw. eures, nagelneuen M3 auf diesem Blogg befindet.
Wie ist eigentlich das Wetter bei euch, ich habe gehoert es ist kaelter als ein M$%#*F#$@&.

Anyway,
tschuess for now

Matt

Anonymous said...

I cant WAIT to hear how impressed you are with Matt's german!

'Brush and Bel said...

I dunno - something tells me that it may not have been Matt that wrote it. I think that someone may have written it for him.

Reason #1 - Misspelling my name as Bratt and not Brett. A native German speaker would not believe you that my name was Brett, and could possibly change it to Bratt. Also, if you say my name to a German, it can be difficult for them to know if it should be with an 'e' or an 'a'.

Reason #2 - The use of 'Servus' as a greeting. This is something that is particular to the south of Germany.

But, to support the claim that Matt wrote it, "as cold as a Mother Fucker" is something that is very 'Matt' to say.

If it was Matt, then his German is much better than mine, and I offer him Mad Props.

Pictures will be up soon.