Monday, January 16, 2006

Stamp collecting

Today I became a stamp collector.

Picture this - you arrive at the airport to fly to Norway. You successfully check-in, and decide that you want to spend some quality time in the Star Alliance Gold Lounge before your flight, which is in about 2 hrs time. Your flight is leaving from B13, so you head in the direction of the B gates.

You pass through the boarding pass check, security screening (including special bomb screening because you are carrying a small Ethernet switch), and follow the signs to the B gates and the Lounge.

You come across passport control, and pass through it without batting an eyelid, because you are flying to somewhere outside the EU, collecting a nice "You have left Germany" stamp for your troubles. You then find the Gold Lounge and have some food, some coffee, and some Apfelschorle.

About 40min before boarding, you decide to leave the lounge and head to the gate, via the duty free shops (just to have a look). Strange thing is that the signs to YOUR B gate points back through passport control (B1-B19), but all the other B gates don't. You are a little confused.

Anyway, you don't question the sign, so you head back through passport control, collect ANOTHER stamp in your passport, along with a strange look from the passport control policewoman when she scans your passport...guess she could see that I only left Germany 1hr ago. Then you head down a hall, around the corner, around another corner, and you are facing the security control again. ????

So, again you pass through the security control, and start following the signs to the B gates. A strange sense of deja vu passes over you as you see passport control looming ahead of you. WTF?!?!?

You then notice, on your right hand side before passport control are 3 small gates, B11-B13. Guess I didn't need to go through passport control in the first place, huh? That is, unless I wanted to use the Gold Lounge.

WEIRD.

Tschüß,
'Brush

PS: Greetings from Oslo, Norway.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Brett

Sheez! I'd be surprised if you haven't already been identified as a risk to national security... what with all your fancy-bits technology and curious behaviour. Did you develop sweaty palms and a nervous eye-twitch at any stage?

Anyway, I am now convinced that you actually have a running commentary going on in your head. I don't suppose you're related to Tweek from Southpark!? Don't ever switch it off... it's so entertaining.

All the best for the New Year and hugs and birthday wishes to Bel.

Benny

p.s. see you in a few months!

Anonymous said...

This just confirms that I have still not had a satisfactory answer to my question. Are you?

Anonymous said...

Again this blog insists that I am anonymous - I am not.

Dad

'Brush and Bel said...

No, I am not. But if I was, I wouldn't be able to tell you anyway. To put it another way - I could tell you, but I would have to kill you.

:)

Anonymous said...

I KNEW KNEW KNEW YOU WERE A SPY!!!! THIS JUST PROVES IT. Making up elaborate stories for coming in and out of Germany in the space of an hour... SPY!!!