Monday, October 31, 2005

New definition of fear...

Ok, so last week I had to attend 3 stops on the Agilent Technologies Triple Play Seminar tour. (No Dad, it's not a spy thing. Though, if it was, would I tell you?!?!). The three stops were in Frankfurt, München, and Vienna (Austria).

The first stop was in a conference center attached to the Frankfurt airport. I was the first to arrive, and I decided to wait for some of the other guys near the departures board in the Lufthansa terminal (they knew I would be there).
Apparently, if you stand near the departures board, in a shirt and dress-pants, with your security card around your neck, people think that you must work for the airport. I quickly worked out Ich arbeite nicht hier (I don't work here), and used it a few times. God only knows if it is a correct phrase...but it seemed to work. :)

So, as if that wasn't bad enough, I soon found out that the whole seminar would be conducted in German (except for the parts presented by our colleague from Canada). To make matters worse, this meant German introductions to the Customers.
The couple of other Native English Speakers decided to introduce themselves in English (if you can call Canadian and Scottish English). It came to my turn, and there seemed to be some joking pressure from my German colleagues for me to do mine in German...so here goes:

Guten Morgen. Mein name ist Brett White. Ich komme aus Australien, aber Ich wohne jetzt in Darmstadt. Ich arbeite seit 6 Jarhen bei Agilent Technologies. Ich bin der neue AE für N2X und NetzwerkTester. Entschuldigung, Ich spreche wenig Deutsch, aber Ich lerne.

Translation time:

Good Morning. My name is Brett White. I come from Australia, but now I live in Darmstadt. I have worked for Agilent Technologies for 6 years. I am the new AE for N2X and NetworkTester. I'm sorry, I don't speak much German, but I am learning.

What do you think?

Tschüß,
'Brush

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

BJ, I think you are doing BRILLIANTLY. I can't imagine having to do all those German intro's but I can't wait to hear what you think of yourself in 6 months looking back on these experiences. I imagine you will cringe! Better you than me though, I would be wel land truely in tears by now!

Anonymous said...

Hello you two,
well first of all Breatt I think you are doing a fine job on your German.... of course you did have a Very good teacher. *ahm*
About the moving country thing.... for some reason I can quite closely relate to all you stories.... just imagine I didn't realise that the sity loop in Melbourne actually went around the city in a loop. So for the first three weeks I ceremoniously got off at Flinders Street Station only to walk all the way up Swanston Street to RMIT.... and come to think of it I even spoke the language.
So all in all I think you are doing very well - and just remember... every day you spend laughing at Baerchenwurst (I really LOVED it as a kid,... maybe that explains the brain damage) gets you a lot closer to a special day in June when you will be able to experience me in MY element...
And to tell you the truth - your little stories and pics make home look not so far away - and that (at least in my opinion) is a great thing!!!
Lots of love from the Fuzzmeister and the evil German woman from number 11

'Brush and Bel said...

Hehehehe...nice work with the City Loop. :)

Oh, and just to add to what I was saying about my introduction - I didn't have any warning that I was going to have to do an introduction, either in English or in German, so I had to do it off the top of my head.

Tschüß,
'Brush

Anonymous said...

Bloody impressive Brush... especially without any real prep!
I still remember my swedish intro - "Jag talar leete Svenska!" (I speak a leeetle sveedish!)

You'll be a native in no time!

Question is.. did you understand them when they introduced themselves?

Naomi said...

Oh hey now waaaait a minute... Whaddaya mean, "if you can call Canadian and Scottish English" ?? Why, I oughtta...!

;)

But, yeah, I know. Those Scots, eh?